Friday, August 20, 2010

Is XP antivirus a scam?

I was at a website and all of the sudden, what looked like a legitimate Windows message box popped up that said ''If your computer is infected, you could suffer data loss, erratic PC behaviour, PC freezes and crahes. Detect and remove viruses before they damage your computer.'' (behavior and crashes were misspelled in the message box) It goes on to say that XP antivirus will check my computer for free, when I hit cancel it took me to a page with another (cheesey looking) message box and is asking me to download the file. I'm sure I shouldn't download, but even when I click the ignore button I get 'do you want to run or save this file', I hit cancel and am taken back to the cheesey looking message box. Do I have a virus? Am I at risk? How do I close that page?



Is XP antivirus a scam?adware



I found this on a website:



XPAntiVirus is a rogue antivirus software that, when runs, display false results as a tactic to scare you into purchasing the software. When XPAntivirus is first installed it will create 9 entries in your Windows Registry that impersonate infections on your machine. In reality, though, these registry entries are harmless and have absolutely no effect on your computer. Instead, these entries are set so that XP AntiVirus can find them when scanning your computer and report them as infections. In order to remove these fake infections you need to purchase the software as the trial does not allow you to remove them.



  • leave the hairdressers
  • i want to comfort her
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment